Can i replant tulip plants more deeper in ground? - Knowledgebase Question

Ashburn, Vi
Question by srilathacheb
I planted store bought tulip plants in ground about 2-3 inches depth. But in Ashburn, it is too windy and my plants with tulip flowers have fallen to ground. Since the flowers are touching ground now, i feel should i replant them more depth into ground around 6 inches may be? Is it okay now to replant them ?

0

You can replant your tulips but there are a few cautions: wait until the foliage has died down naturally before digging your tulips. This ensures the leaves can manufacture and transport energy back to the bulbs for next year's growth and flowering. The second caution is in planting bulbs too deeply. If they are planted too deep, the bulbs will run out of energy before the sprouts can reach the soil surface. Usually a good rule of thumb is to plant each bulb about two times as deep as it is wide. So for bulbs that are two inches wide, you can plant them 4" deep. Replant each of your bulbs according to their sizes and they should be fine.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "