Care of Angel Trumpet & Turks Cap - Knowledgebase Question

Wetumpka, Al
Question by suesue0911
Someone gave me an angel trumpet and a turks cap. What maintenance is required since I am not familiar with either one?

Brugmansia or Angel's Trumpet loves a well drained soil with plenty of organic matter. It is not too picky about pH, but I would suggest avoiding very acid or very alkaline conditions. These plants are cold tender and may freeze to the ground during cold winter weather. They usually return the following spring if you mulch the base of the plant well. Give your Brugmansia full sun or part afternoon shade. Keep it well watered with a good soaking every 5 days or so. Fertilize it when growth begins in the spring and every 4 weeks through early August with a complete fertilizer. Turk's cap lily grows four to eight feet tall with orange flowers which are pendulant with petals that are curved backwards. The flowers are green at the base then yellow, then bright orange with dark orange spots covering the flowers

Turks cap lily naturally grows in wet meadows and the edges of swamps but will tolerate moist garden soil. It grows best in full sun. In part sun or full shade it won't flower as well so plant it in full sun and keep it well watered.

Enjoy your new plants!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"