red thread - Knowledgebase Question

Puyallup, Wa
Question by zbonnee
I have red thread left over from last yr that I treated in the fall with a fungicide. Should I start in again right now treating this again w/ the same product? I purchased a product from Scotts - Lawn Fungus Control - what do you advise?
Many thanks!
Bonnee Zander

Red thread is a fungus that is most common on lawns with fine blades, such as fescues. It is a pinkish gelatinous fungus strand that is attached to the blade of grass. It starts out dark pink and then turns light pink. Low nitrogen and poor soil aeration contribute. It is more common after a year of drought, as dry soils make the application of lawn fertilizers less successful. It seldom kills the grass but it does weaken it. To control, aerate your soil. You can rent a core-aerator at equipment rental stores or have a lawn maintenance firm do it for you. Apply nitrogen as ammonium sulfate. If this doesn't improve it, and you decide to apply a fungicide, the most common fungicide used on Red Thread is chlorothalonil. Be sure to follow label directions and repeat the treatment two times at intervals of 7 to 10 days. Thatch removal, aeration, regular watering and mowing, and regular feeding will help your lawn avoid future outbreaks.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"