propagating holly bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Oklahoma City, Ok
Question by ann670
There are some lovely Holly Bushes in my mom's front yard and I would love to take clippings from them and grow my own, for my yard. What is the best way to do this?

You can propagate hollies with semi-softwood cuttings. The new growth you see this spring should be allowed to mature and cuttings can be taken in late summer or early fall. Choose a few healthy stems and be sure to take several cuttings. Make the cuts just below a leaf node--a bump where a new leaf is about to emerge. Cut at a slant with a sharp, clean knife. The cutting should be 5 to 6 in. long. Strip any lower leaves and dip the cut end into rooting hormone and stick it into a container filled with moistened sand or potting soil. Set the cuttings 2-3 inches deep. You can set several cuttings into a single nursery pot. Once you've placed all the cuttings into the potting media, place 3-4 sticks around the inside rim of the pot and drape plastic wrap or a plastic bag gently over the sticks. You now have a mini-greenhouse which will keep the humidity constant around the cuttings. Set the pot in a shady location in the garden. Monitor the growing media and water when necessary to keep it moist but not soggy wet. You can periodically remove the plastic to allow fresh air to enter and remove it completely in about 2 weeks. The cuttings should root in 3-4 weeks. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"