Pine tree needles dry and yellow - Knowledgebase Question

Cerritos, Ca
Question by vlorusso
My Pine tree needles are dry and yellow, Some green needles on some branches. the tree is loaded with new growth blooms on tips. What can I do to help it back to health?

0

Pines undergo a natural seasonal needle drop where the oldest needs turn yellow and fall off each year. So, as long as the newest needles at the tips of the branches are still green, I think what you are seeing is probably normal. You can inspect the yellowing leaves for signs of insects or disease, though, just to make sure. Use a magnifying glass and look for spider mites or fungal spores. Mites are the size of pepper flakes but they move. Fungal spores look like little black dots, too, but they don't move. If you find either, submit another question to this forum with the description and we'll do our best to diagnose the problem.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"