shady backyard - Knowledgebase Question

louisville, Ke
Question by cbrooks565
I have a shady backyard and would like to see green insist of mud. I have tried to grow grass spsecificly for shade but it does not make it. I have put down pathers and I'm looking for something to plant that will give me a grass like appearance and handle light foot traffice.

0

There are a couple of plants you might consider as alternative to grass; Mentha Nana is a Dwarf Pennyroyal. It is a creeping herb that sends out the aroma of mint when walked on. Light lavender flowers in summer. Ophiopogon japonicus nana (Dwarf Mondo Grass) is a low growing ornamental grass with green blades that resemble a head of hair. Deep blue fruit in summer is quite ornamental. Nice low groundcover that is slow to spread. Use instead of turf as a lawn substitute. Origanum vulgare Aureum (Golden Marjoram) is a super tough perennial herb that has a lovely golden, aromatic foliage covered by tall pink flowers in summer. You can mow this if it gets too high. Hope these suggestions are helpful!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"