saplings drooping - Knowledgebase Question

fairfax, Vi
Question by rohini_m_200
I got seeds of wild flowers for butterfly and planted them 1 inch below soil. They sprouted well and have grown tall in the container. but now they seem to be falling down on the soil and some of them developed really weak stems above soil surface. Are they not getting enough sun? i have not watered the soil and only spray mist the soil surface since it is still moist. The temperature is 60-65F.

0

I'd guess that they are not getting enough sunshine. Most wildflowers for butterflies will need all day sunshine. If they don't get enough sunlight they grow tall with thin stems are are prone to flopping over. Move the container into full sunshine and stick your finger into the soil to check for moisture. If it is still moist about a half inch below the surface, you won't need to water but if it is dry that far down it is time to water. I'd stop misting the plants - you can invite fungal diseases if the stems remain too wet and weak plants, especially seedlings, can develop "damping off" because the disease causes the stems to collapse. Hope your plants recover soon.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"