Vegetables grown in sand - Knowledgebase Question

Covington, Wa
Question by cherijeffrey
What type of vegetables can I plant and they will grow well in sand?

Lettucesw and any root vegetable - carrots, turnips, beets, etc. - will grow well in sandy soil. There aren't many nutrients in sandy soils and it doesn't hold much water so you'll need to water frequently and fertilize frequently to get your veggies to grow well. For the best growth and harvest, I'd recommend amending the soil prior to planting. You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"