when do I plant onions? - Knowledgebase Question

Wadsworth, Oh
Question by robnruth
I bought some onion sets and am not sure when I should plant them....I live in North east Ohio. we are not done with our frosts yet....will they tolerate the cold? thanks

0

Onion sets can be planted even though you will still have a few frosts this spring. The bulbs won't begin to sprout until the soil warms up but as long as the soil does not remain soggy wet, they will be just fine. If your soil is still saturated, wait a few week, then take a handful of soil in your hand and close your hand tightly. If water drips out, it's too wet to plant. If not, open your hand and poke the soil with your finger. It should crumble easily. When it does - you can plant your onion sets.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"