Strawberries & Blueberries - Knowledgebase Question

Leesburg, Vi
Question by themargounde
Hi - bought strwbry plts perennial ever bearing, will they produce many? Looked at strwbry Sequoia (splg?), large & sweet, but saw after I bought others. Are ever b large & sweet too? Planted 6, can I expect lots of fruit? Also, pltd blueberry bush (grow 6' wide, 8' tall. No info came with it other than to water every few dats. When will it bloom? BB perennial? When will it bear fruit? Tks.

Everbearing strawberries produce smaller fruits than spring or day neutral plants, but they produce over a longer period of time so I think it's a trade-off which type you choose. Some of the best for your growing region include Ozark Beauty (Everbearing) which are high-yielding and they have mouth watering flavor. They are excellent berries for preserves or freezing. They are large and red in color.

Jewel (Day Neutral) These berries are large and juicy and they have superb flavor and quality and textural.

Festival (Day Neutral) These strawberries have excellent flavor with deep red,glossy fruit. The plants produces large, firm strawberries with high yields.

Whichever variety you are growing you'll want to remove any flowers that appear this summer to redirect the plant's energy back into the crown and roots of the plant. Next year you can start harvesting the berries.

Blueberries grow best in full sunshine in well draining, acidic soil. Watering regularly will keep the soil moist, and feeding with an acidified fertilizer or mulch over the soil beneath the plant with peat moss will help keep the soil acidic.
Some varieties of blueberries will bear the second year after planting. Full production is reached in about six years with a yield of 4 to 6 quarts per plant, depending on vigor and the amount of spring pruning you do.

Enjoy your edible garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"