PLANT TAGS - Knowledgebase Question

ATKINSON, Ne
Question by JDEBURRO0
I BOUGHT TULIPS AND LILYS TODAY AND NONE OF THE PLANTS AT THE STORE HAD PLANT TAGS, WHERE DO I GET THAT INFO THAT'S ON THE TAGS

0

If you bought an Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum), you can grow it indoors as a houseplant or set it outdoors in your garden. These plants are hardy outdoors to zone 6. Since you are in zone 5, you'll want to keep your lily in a container, take it outdoors in the spring and summer months and back indoors in the fall when the temperatures start to cool down. Outdoors they like morning sunshine but shade from hot afternoon sun. Indoors they like bright light but not direct sunlight. Water often enough to keep the soil from completely drying out: water thoroughly, then allow the top half inch of soil to dry out before watering again. Deadhead by removing individual flowers as they fade. Your plant will continue to develop flowers as you remove the lower, faded flowers.

If the tulips you purchased were in bloom, prune off the flowering stem when the flower fades but leave the foliage alone to die down on its own. When that happens, stop watering, clip off the dead leaves and either store the bulbs in a cool, dry location for planting in your garden this fall, or plant the bulbs in the garden right away. Plant them twice as deep as they are wide and mark the planting area so you don't forget where they are. Next spring they should flower for you.

Enjoy your new plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"