palm trees - Knowledgebase Question

new orleans, Lo
Question by jdkelson1959
i have experience a real bad freeze hear in new orleans 3 mts ago and it really destroyed my garden of 4 yrs do u really think my trees will come back to life again

0

Most palm trees are frost sensitive but some types will only show damage to the fronds if temperatures dip to 20F. I don't know what kind of palm trees you are growing so I don't know whether or not they are frost tolerant. But it is possible that they will begin to show new growth within the next 3-4 weeks. The fronds are produced at the top of the trunk and the growth bud may have been protected enough by the fronds that it is able to produce new fronds. Let's hope for the best and give your palms another month or so to recover. If you don't see any new growth by the end of April, you may need to replace your palms. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"