starting a greenhouse - Knowledgebase Question

TONAWANDA, Ne
Question by geo25561
I recently purchgased a 8 X 10 portable greenhouse, I live in western New York - between Niagara Falls and Buffalo, I have already started my seeds inside the house, and would like to know when it is safe to put them outside in the greenhouse, or start new ones out there?
Linda George

0

Your new greenhouse will keep air temperatures from 10 to about 50 degrees warmer than the outdoor air temperatures, depending upon the amount of sunlight it receives. When starting seeds, most will sprout in temperatures of 55-75F; some will sprout in cooler temperatures (peas and beans for instance) and some require much warmer temperatures. I'd invest in a high/low thermometer and set it in the greenhouse at bench level so you know whether or not it remains above freezing overnight, and how warm it gets during the day. If it consistently seems like springtime in the greenhouse, you should be able to start seeds. The back of the seed packet will give you the optimal high and low temperatures for germinating and growing that particular plant. Hope this provides some guidance.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "