preventing japanese beetle damage - Knowledgebase Question

Camilus, Ne
Question by danforth801
last year, Japanese beetles destroyed my rose bush. how do I prevent them from doing it gain?

0

Both adult beetles and their larvae (grubs) can seriously damage plants as a result of their feeding. Adult Japanese beetles eat flowers and skeletonize leaves (eat leaf tissue between the veins, resulting in a lacy skeleton remaining). The grubs feed on the roots of plants, especially on the roots of grasses.

Multiple approaches are necessary for controlling Japanese beetles. Adults can be removed by handpicking and destroyed. Milky spore, Bacillus popilliae, is a disease-causing bacterium that is effective against grubs of Japanese beetles but not the adults. It is commercially available for homeowner use. Carbaryl (Sevin 50WP) or neem oil (Bonide Bon-Neem or Green Light Neem Concentrate) or cyfluthrin (Bayer Advanced Garden Power Force Multi-Insect Killer Concentrate) or permethrin (Spectracide Bug Stop Multi-Purpose Insect Control Concentrate) are labeled for use by homeowners against Japanese beetles. As with all pesticides, read and follow all label instructions and precautions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"