How to save bulbs not planted last fall. - Knowledgebase Question

Elkridge, Ma
Question by Pudmeister
How can I save bulbs(daffodills & tulips) I purchased in the fall but was unable to plant before December? Is placing bulbs in the freezer a possiblity?

You may have already missed the opportunity for planting your bulbs. Spring flowering bulbs are planted in the fall because they require 12-16 weeks of cold weather in which to develop roots. Once the roots develop the bulbs flower and develop foliage. The foliage should be allowed to ripen and die down naturally because it is busy manufacturing and transporting energy back to the bulb for the following year's floral display. If you plant your bulbs now they will sprout but not develop roots. When the bulbs run out of energy growth will stop and the bulbs will die. Without roots they cannot take up water and nutrients. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"