seedlings - Knowledgebase Question

Hallam, Ne
Question by jableyenberg
I have several seed flats and some seedlings in a coffee can. Something has eaten the heads/starter leaves off some of them. All is inside the house. I haven't seen mouse droppings or slug/snail trail. This happened during the day.What couldit be?

I'm really stumped! I can't imagine what might have eaten the tops of your seedlings! The seed leaves (cotyledons) provide food for the developing seedlings and usually fall off on their own when first the true leaves develop but it's a slow process - not one that would happen in a single day. You might try covering your seedlings with some netting to protect them. Netting will allow light in and air exchange but should provide a barrier against munching critters. Good luck with your seedlings.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"