No-maintenance ground cover... - Knowledgebase Question

91765, Ca
Question by l_or_e_campb
I just had 14+ over-grown bushes/roots removed from my backyard (which surrounded my grass area in a semi-oval shape).I want to replace this area with a no-maintenance ground cover or some type of natural mulch (which I heard controls weeds) or rocks. The area is approximately 108 ft. by 50 ft. What do you suggest? Thank you.

The most maintenance free plants are those native to your region. You might consider planting Cotoneaster dammeri (Bearberry Cotoneaster) or Lantana montevidensis (Trailing Lantana). Salvia is another suggestion. It's true that covering bare soil with mulch will help suppress weeds and you have lots of choices - bark nuggets, decorative rocks or stones or even some of the rubber mulches will all do a good job in suppressing weeds. If you plan to put down a mulch, I'd go the extra mile and place a weed barrier landscape fabric over the the area first, then top it off with the decorative mulch. This will definitely keep weeds from sprouting.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"