grape harbor issues - Knowledgebase Question

Huntington, We
Question by usnomad
I have a small grape vine/harbor that we've had here for a few decades, but due to health and other reasons was neglected the last few years... but now I'm ready to make the most of it! it's overgrown with weeds a little but what do I do? how can I get the most out of it now? thanks! (I'm in Huntington, WV)

0

What's nice about grapevines is that they can be pruned way back without harm. I'd prune the vines down to 18-24" from the ground and pull all the old vines out of the arbor. New growth will cover the arbor again in a year or two. Next winter or spring you can selectively thin out the vines. As for the weeds, digging and hand pulling are your best options around your grape vines. Once you've removed them you can use a pre emergent such as Preen at the base of your grapevines to keep new weeds from sprouting.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"