what to do about star of bethlehem? - Knowledgebase Question

Dearborn Heights, Mi
Question by gwiewiura
Will a product 2,4-D help to rid of star of bethlehem bulbs? They have taken over my yard. Last fall we sprayed a product by Bayer and some of the areas are free of the pest. I do not remember what it was. Is there something else I can use? They are muliplying like crazy.

Thanks,

Linda

0

I'm afraid that both wild garlic and star-of-Bethlehem are tolerant to 2,4-D so it won't work to rid your yard of the weeds. Recent research in Virginia suggests that carfentrazone, a broadleaf herbicide for the lawn, will effectively control star-of-Bethlehem without harming desirable turfgrass. Quicksilver herbicide contains carfentrazone but it's difficult for homeowners to find. If you can, use it according to label directions. If you cannot, you may need to systematically dig out the bulbs or paint the foliage with full strength Round Up. Round Up is a vegetation killer so any turfgrass or other plants you get it on will kill your desireable plants as well as the weeds. Wish there were an easier solution!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "