Can I put my bulbs in the refrig. til autumn? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
Thank you for your answer,but now a new question. The bulbs I never planted in the fall (hyacinth,daffodil,lily of the valley), which I can't plant now...can I refrigerate them over summer and plant in the fall? They have been in the garage over the winter and I would like to preserve them, if possibe. Thank you so much!

0

The bulbs you never planted probably won't survive even if you put them in the refrigerator. Bulbs are storage organs and the carbohydrates they store over the summer months for growing and blooming the next spring become depleted with time. If they are planted in the fall and have a chance to develop roots they will sprout and flower. The roots will collect moisture and nutrients and the foliage will, through the process of photosynthesis, manufacture and transport energy back to the bulb. This recharges the bulb and allows it to repeat the process the following year. If you do not plant the bulbs in the fall the process will be interrupted and the bulbs will degrade and lose the stored energy. You cannot postpone their annual growing and blooming process and expect them to perform well. I'd toss the bulbs and begin anew this fall. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"