Pine Needle Mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Caro, Mi
Question by smlarson13
I have access to unlimited pine needles - seems to be mixed opinions on using them for mulch in my yard - which is now assorted plants, shrubs, trees etc? Do I or don't I? Thanks!

0

Pine needles and pine bark are great mulch materials but you'll want to use conservative amounts in your garden, except around acid-loving plants. As the pine needles decompose they release acidifying agents into the soil, which can change the soil's pH over time. Acid loving plants such as azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias will love the extra acidity, but many other plants won't. So use only 2-3" of pine needles as mulch in your garden and landscape. The rest can be offered to neighbors. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"