little net in plant soil - Knowledgebase Question

st louis, Mi
Question by queenb314
I have alot of different house plants just recently repotted and now i have little nets in the soli and in the house what can i use to get rid of them? In my yard i have noticed small dirt piles, is that a sign of moles and if so what can i do to get rid of them.

0

The little nets on the soil surface can be from spiders or even spider mites. You can drench the soil with insecticidal soap and spray your plants with it, too, to get rid of the insects.

Moles can be controlled by trapping. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you'll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. As long as the insects inhabit the soil, moles and gophers will be attracted. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles and gophers from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"