When to Uncover Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Rockland, Wi
Question by loriehohlf
I planted four rose bushes last year, covered them up for the winter and am now wondering when I should uncover them. I live in West Central Wisconsin. It is still getting down below 20 some nights, but gets up to 50 and 60's during the day. Supposed to get into the 70's later this week! When should I uncover?

Peek inside and let your roses be your guide. If new buds are swelling on the canes, you can take off the covers. Or, beginning now, you can take them off during the day and replace them on the nights that the temperatures threaten to drop down to freezing. Spring is so unpredictable that we need to be ready to jump in and protect our plants when the weather doesn't cooperate. Good luck with your roses.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"