Piece of Texas in NJ? - Knowledgebase Question

Newton, Ne
Question by dlamudge
I recently moved from Texas and brought with me 2 Texas Mountain Laurel seeds. If I plant them here in NJ will they grow okay? And each seed really produce a tree when planted separately or do I plant them together? I know nothing about planting trees from seeds.

Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora) is only hardy in zones 7-10 so it won't survive outdoors in New Jersey. I wish I had better news for you. If you have a sunny window you might try growing them indoors as houseplants. You can keep them in containers and take them outdoors in the spring and summer and back indoors during the fall and winter months. To plant, separate each of the seeds in the pod and plant them individually. Each will develop into a tree. I just plant them about a half inch deep in potting soil and they sprout, but it can take about 4 weeks for this to happen. Good luck with your seeds.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"