Is my Bayleaf plant still alive? - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Prairie, Te
Question by corkmiller
I have an outside bayleaf potted plant that I kept out during the winter months. The leaves are now golden in color and are not green like they used to be. Will they eventually turn back to their original color or should I replace it? Thanks.

If the leaves froze but the roots remained alive, you'll see new growth this spring. If the roots were subjected to freezing temperatures they may not have survive. Root in the ground are insulated but those in an above ground container are really susceptible to damage. I'd give the plant another few weeks to wake up and show some new growth. If you don't see any signs of life by mid-April, I'd replace the plant. Next winter either sink the pot into the ground next to your house, or wrap it with insualting material to help it through the winter months. Good luck with your bay leaf.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"