best soil for raised bed veggie gardens in Phoenix, az - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Beth Marks
phoenix, Ar
Question by bmarks03
answers will help increase my product knowledge

0

As you know, soils in the Phoenix area are clayey and alkaline. For best results, amend the soil with copious amounts of compost or other organic matter to both loosen the soil and help lower the pH. I tell gardeners this: You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope this information is helpful!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"