zoysia grass in zone 7 - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Ne
Question by zigg114a
I live in NY, zone 7. I purchase a house 2 years ago that had zoysia grass. Beautiful! With 2 dogs, it lost some of it's luster. I see that zoysia really isn't the right variety of grass for this zone, but I love it and it did look fabulous before I got the dogs. I realize there are several varieties of zoysia. Can you recommend the best for this cool zone and spring care? Thanks in advance!

0

Empire Zoysia is the most cold tolerant so I suspect that's what you are growing. You can blend your established zoysia with a cool season grass such as Tall Fescue by simply overseeding in the fall when the zoysia begins to go dormant. The cool season grass will green up then and in the early spring will green up again before the zoysia does. This will give you a greener lawn for more months than you'd have with zoysia. Hope this provides some guidance.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"