Orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Stevens, Wa
Question by ritaschnepp
I have ask you about my orchids before and been amazed how it helped my orchids.
now...I have been told to cut off the runners(roots coming out of the pots). is that true? thanks

0

I'm glad you've found our advice helpful in the past. Epiphytes establish aerial roots that absorb moisture from the air, and also allow them to move around finding a suitable host where they can develop new plants. Obviously yours in in a container rather than hanging out in some rainforest, but the aerial roots still serve a purpose. As long as they are thick and green, they are providing nutrients to your plant. If they turn brown and shrivel up, you can safely cut them off the plant. I know they aren't all that attractive to look at, but they do serve a purpose for the plant and you can compromise the health of your orchid if you cut off the healthy aerial roots. Hope this clarifies things for you. Enjoy your orchid!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"