Splitting Irises - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by phylliszap
Hi! For the past twoo years my Irises hace not produced many flowers. Someone told me to split them and replant. When is the best time to do this and how? Thank You.

Since they aren't blooming well for you anyway, I'd go ahead and divide them now. In future years you can dig and divide them at the end of summer, after they have finished blooming. Irises grow from elongated rhizomes. Use a garden fork to gently lift each fan of leaves from the ground. You'll find that part of the rhizome is dead and part has foliage attached. You can break off the dead parts of the rhizome and replant the parts with leaves attached. Plant them just barely below the soil surface, water them in well, and then lay a mulch over the top of the soil to help suppress weeds. Best wishes with your irises!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"