St Augistine Problem Del Rio Texas - Knowledgebase Question

del rio, Te
Question by jta_fox2
I have a St Augistine grass lawn in Del Rio Texas. Two things have happened this spring. One, my front yard has a very thick, almost hay like, post winter texture. There are spots of green poking through the dried out, straw-like, older vegitation. Two, my back yard has spots that appear to be only stolons. Again, there are lots of dead stolons along with new green ones. Not sure what happen

Sounds like it could be winter kill but whatever the problem you can remedy it by dethaching. A power dethatcher will rake out all of the dead stolons and roots and leave most of the live St. Augustine intact. You may need to resod the bare areas to get it back to looking attractive. Wish there were an easier process but you'll want to remove all the dead grass before it will recover. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"