weed contro. - Knowledgebase Question

valley stream, Ne
Question by jrau56
Last year I put down fabic covering in my garden to control weeds but they grew right through the covering, I use to use coving that let water in but keept weeds from coming up. Is there any covering out there that does that anymore?? I really don't like putting mulch on top of the covering. My garden is a very small area and to do that mulch is just a pain. thanks. Jean

0

Weed barrier fabric will stop weed seeds from sprouting but existing weeds have the potential to grow right up through it, especially if the barrier is thin or flimsy. The best approach is to completely remove all weeds plus their roots prior to installing your weed barrier fabric. Another approach might be to cover the area that is not planted with several thicknesses of newspaper or cardboard. This will essentially suffocate the weeds by excluding sunlight, air and rainwater. Give this a try. If it still doesn't work, I'd remove all the weed barrier and dig or rototill the area to remove the roots of the persistent roots. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"