Flies. - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Mimi Lilly
Port Saint Lucie, Fl
Question by luxio
Hello! I have a really big problem, I recently dug up a vegetebale garden and right after a few minutes a bunch of flies were sitting on it, it wasn't mosit or damp. And I have that problem with potted plants that are outside too. What should I do to get rid of them?

I suspect the flies were laying eggs in the newly turned soil and since it's a veggie garden, I'd be careful about using pesticides. You might try turning the soil again to bury the eggs and any larvae that has hatched, or you might want to simply cover the garden with a weed barrier landcape fabric. This will keep weeds from sprouting and will keep flies from laying eggs and will also keep larvae from emerging from the soil. You can then cut slits or X's in the fabric to plant your vegetables. Same with your potted plants = place a barrier over the soil to exclude the pests or use an insecticidal soap as a drench to kill the current eggs or larvae. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"