getting them to flower/orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Brethren, Mi
Question by yochekat
Hi,
I have two orchid plants that have not flowered. The one had flowers on it when I bought it but none since. I water tham thoroughly once a month in the kitchen sink. I have put a small amt of orchid food on them, the leaves grow but no flowers. Do you need to keep them under a constant light. They are in a bright room but not in the direct sun. Thanks Bonnie

0

Orchids can produce a flowering stalk at most any time - initiation has to do with temperature changes and maturity of the plant. Although spikes can appear at any time of the year, most of mine come into spike during the winter months and flower around November, December and January. It takes about three months for the spike to grow and develop into flowers. Most growers cut back the flower stalk (called inflorescence) after blooming has completely finished to allow the plant to rest. The belief is that the next flower spike will be stronger. Orchids are wonderful houseplants! Here are a few general care rules: Orchids need ample humidity, so put the pot on a pebble-filled tray and keep water in it. Also keep the soil moist. When watering, use tepid, not cold water. Mist the leaves occasionally. Orchids need 10-15 hours of bright light each day, but keep them out of direct sunlight. They prefer daytime temperatures of about 70F in summer and 60F in winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Keep them out of cold drafts, feed them during the summer months with a low nitrogen fertilizer, and let them become pot-bound (they flower more freely when their toes are pinched). I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"