Skunks Digging Up Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Needham, MA
Question by jeanwhelan
What do you suggest to stop the neighborhood skunks from digging up my bulbs? I planted about 100 bulbs Saturday and used bulb fertilizer. I had not had a problem with skunks, but Sunday morning about 90 of the 100 bulbs were dug up. Help! I still have about 300 bulbs to put in.

0

At my house the squirrels and chipmunks steal bulbs (with the exception of daffodils) as fast as I can plant them. In my experience, the best protection is to cover the planting area with wire mesh, such as hardware cloth, until the ground resettles, then remove it so the bulbs can grow unhampered next spring. Some gardeners report success using commercial animal repellents that are applied and reapplied according to the label instructions. Others report success using homemade pepper-based sprays squirted on the soil around the bulb planting area.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"