protecting foundation from flowerbed - Knowledgebase Question

South Houston, Te
Question by l_delacerda
I just removed my flowerbed to start over, it was flooding my porch. Also learned the back was too high/close to the siding, and needs to be re-sloped for water to drain away from house. What product/material can I put on the side next to the house? It is 17' long, and I thought about landscape timbers wrapped in plastic, but that sounds kinda ugly. Any suggestions for someone on a tight budget?

I agree, it sounds kind of ugly. There's a Polyguard 650 Waterproofing Membrane you can purchase (expensive) to protect the foundation or siding, or you can build a stand-alone bed with an air space between the planter and the siding. There's no guarantee that it will be totally waterproof but you may be able to line the backside of the planter (next to the foundation or siding) with roofing felt or asphalt shingles. These are generally water resistant and it you cover any seams, water should not be able to leak through. I'd also install a curtain drain at the back of the planter (layer of gravel, perforated PVC pipe, more gravel) to redirect excess moisture and allow it to drain out the sides or the front of the plant. Hope one of these suggestions works for you.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"