garden soil for vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Huntington, Te
Question by pws3
This is an unusual question. I don't have a place to till a garden, so I have used 5 gallon buckets. I poke holes in the bottom for drainage. last year I planted the usual vegies. I only put one plant to a bucket. I used potting soil,they bloomed well, but they did not put hardly any vegies on, what do I need to do different with my soil? A friend told me to put some manuare and sand with it.

0

I think growing in containers is an excellent idea. If your plants grew well and flowered but didn't produce fruit, I don't think it's the soil, I think it has more to do with exposure to sunshine or lack of pollination. Veggies need at least 8 hours of direct sunshine a day. And, you need insect activity to transfer pollen between the flowers. One way to encourage this is to plant colorful annuals in with your vegetables or in nearby pots. With tomatoes and peppers, temperatures over 90F can render pollen sterile so if your plants are flowering in the heat of mid-summer, the flowers may not be capable of developing into fruit. You can't control the weather but you can plant your tomatoes earlier in the season or plant heat tolerant cultivars. Hope this provides some answers!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"