Wine Grapes - Knowledgebase Question

Raleigh, NC
Question by saundert
I am looking for wine grape vines, especially Cabarnet Sauvgnion and Chardonnay. They must be hardy enough to grow in North Carolina. I also need information about planting.

0

Most wine grapes are hardy in USDA zones 7 to 9, so you should be able to grow some. You can purchase Cabernet Sauvingon grapes from Raintree Nursery, ph# 360-496-6400. They might be able to direct you to a source for Chardonnay-type grapes.

Stark Brothers Nursery in Missouri (ph# 800-325-4180) sells two varieties of Muscadine grapes--these are popular for wine-making.

Grapes need full sun; amend the soil with organic matter before planting. Keep your new vines well-watered. Remember that for best production grape vines should be trained to some sort of trellis, and they'll need annual pruning.

Good Luck!