Vegtable Garden in Alaska - Knowledgebase Question

Anchorage, Al
Question by lollielean
I am new to gardening in Alaska (not gardening)and I was wondering which vegetables grow well in Alaska (Anchorage area)and what varieties are best.

Gardening in Alaska is quite a challenge but it can be done. Aside from the long, cold winter weather, soils tend to take a long time to warm up which delays growth. You can't change the weather but you can help things along by planting in raised beds, which warm up faster. Here's a web site developed by the University of Alaska with a list of publications that you'll find helpful. Most publications are free and you can learn about soil types, successful fruits and vegetable types, and flowers of all kinds to brighten your garden. Visit the following website hosted by the University of Alaska, Fairbanks:

Once you've become familiar with the most common challenges and how to overcome them, you can choose your plants from the lists provided in the publications. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"