destroyed lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Hudson, Wi
Question by coryeller
we just bought a forclosed home this winter and when the snow melted it releaved a terrible looking lawn. we have good grass in most portions of the lawn with some fresh seeded spots and crab grass mixed in.what are your recomondation to use this spring for fertilizers on the yard?I dont need the best yard in town but I am looking to get rid of the crab grass and grow the newly seeded spots quick

Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they last only about 30 days. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - early April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. A second application might have to be made to keep your lawn a little more crabgrass free. Proper lawn maintenance practices can limit crabgrass invasions. A dense stand of turfgrass prevents the weed from germinating and establishing. Fertilize at the end of May and remember that fall fertilizing, overseeding, aeration and thatch control can also limit spring problems. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"