dog tolerant grass - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, Co
Question by djbishop99
I have a female dogs that is just killing my yard with her urine. What is the most tolerant grass for dogs in Colorado

0

Dogs are pretty hard on any turf or groundcover so there's no particular type of turfgrass that I can recommend. I wish there were an easy answer but sometimes the only solution is to fence off the damaged areas for a while to give them time to recover. If you can put up a temporary fence to exclude the dogs you can revamp one part of the yard while giving them free reign in the other. Once part of the lawn is up and growing, exclude them from the second area so you can revamp that part of the yard. Start by raking out all the dead grass and debris then overseeding the lawn. After it has come up and has been mowed, you can feed the lawn. We usually recommend feeding 3-4 times a year: April, June, September and late November. Keeping your lawn on a regular feeding, watering and mowing schedule will help it grow lush and thick and more able to withstand the traffic of your pets. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"