Deer eating arborvitae - Knowledgebase Question

Cumming, Ge
Question by tluck4
We have a small arborvitae (about 2 ft. tall) that has several branches sheared off by deer. There is a tuft of green at the top and the botto is intact. Should I cut off the top? Will it grow back from the bottom up? Thanks!

0

There is a chance that your arborvitaes will regrow the branches they lost so I'd just leave them alone and give them a chance to recover. If you can protect them during the healing process, it will really help. My suggestion for protection won't be attractive but it will be efficient - use chicken wire to make cylinder cages to place around your plants. Keep the wire about 6" away from the branch ends (room for growth) and be sure to top the cylinders with wire to keep the deer from reaching over and munching on the tops. Best wishes with your arborvitaes!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "