preparing the soil for planting - Knowledgebase Question

Warren, Oh
Question by craig44485
Other than renting a rototiller and tilling the ground, what else do I need to do. Should I buy that peatmoss soil and cow manure to till in also now? My soil is almost pure clay. What do I need to do to get it ready to plant and when should I start to do this?

You can enrich your soil over a period of years and end up with rich garden loam if you add organic matter. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed. You can use compost, aged manure (fresh manure can be too hot and might contain weed seeds), shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available in your local area. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"