Stokesia and Foxglove - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
How do I care for a Stokesia Plant?

What is the best way to get Foxgloves started?
Do they reseed well, or should I plant seeds every year?

In general, plant Stokes asters in full sun, in well-drained soil. Add a light application of organic fertilizer to the planting hole. Place the plants no deeper than they were growing in their containers. Set the plants 9 to 12 inches apart. Mulch around but not on top of the plant with 3 inches or organic compost. Water well until soil is completely moist. During the growing season, trim off old foliage in early spring using scissors or bypass pruners and cut off spent flowers as they fade.

There are both biennial and perennial foxgloves. Biennials grow vegetatively the first year and flower the second year. If you allow the seeds to spill onto the ground (rather than cutting down the flowering stalk), you'll get new plants the following year. Perennial foxgloves will flower each year so pruning off the spent flowering stalks will keep them looking neat and tidy. Or, you can allow the plants to set seeds and either collect the seeds for sowing the following spring or simply allow them to spill on the ground. You'll have lots of new foxglove plants the following summer. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"