Elephant Ears - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
I've never tried those elephant ears. They are big bulbs, right?
How deep should they be planted and When?

CAn I save the bulbs over winter in peet moss?
If so, when can I get them out of the peetmoss and plant them outside?
Thanks, Dorian

You're right, the bulbs of elephant ear plants are really large. Dig a hole large enough to accommodate the bulb plus about two inches. Plant the bulb and cover it with about 2" of soil. Colocasia, or Elephant's Ears, are tropical plants and require a minimum of 70F to sprout so don't plant yours out into the garden until both the air and soil temperatures are consistently warm. Mid to late May is a good time to plant them in your gardening region. These are fast growing plants so don't be in a hurry to get them into the ground. When fall arrives and the leaves begin to die down after your first frost, cut off the foliage, dig the bulbs and store them in a cool, dry place until spring. Storing them in peatmoss is fine. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"