Shaded yard - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Carla Coarsey
Trenton, Fl
Question by car2335958
I have a beautiful yard but it is completly shaded. I've learned over the years how to make it work to my advantage but it still frustrates me. I would love to grow some vegetables but thats almost impossible. they get no light. what would you suggest for a fast growing ground cover and some flowering plants other than colus (not spelled right) and any veges that might work in my yard.

0

Sounds as though you've adapted to your shady yard. Three cheers! You'd be surprised how many gardeners try to force sun loving plants to grow in the shade. It's never a happy situation! I'm with you - go with the flow! There are lots of shade loving plants you can enjoy in your garden and while you probably won't be able to grow tomatoes and peppers in your shady yard, I think you'll have success with leafy vegetables. Try growing peas, Salad Greens, such as leaf lettuce, arugula, endive, cress, and radicchio, Swiss chard, and broccoli or cauliflower.

Beach morning glory (Ipomoea pescaprae) is a fast growing groundcover for shade. Others to try include Confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides), Coontie
(Zamia integrifolia) and Lilyturf (Liriope muscari). They won't grow as fast as beach morning glory but they will grow in shade.

Shade loving perennials to try in your garden include Hardy Begonia, Blue Sage (Eranthemum pulchellum), Golden Shrimp Plant (Pachystachys lutea), Jacobinia (Justicia carnea), Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum 'Variegata', Peacock Ginger
(Kaempferia species), Persian Shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) and Trailing Wishbone Flower (Torenia).

Enjoy your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"