Planting Peonies - Knowledgebase Question

wilmington, No
Question by patkrieger
I would like to grow peonies in my zone 8 garden. My previous gardening experience was in a much colder climate, so I realize this may be a stretch in zone 8, but want to give it a try. Do I need to amend the soil, or add bone meal etc. Should I plant in full sun or partial shade?

Peonies grow perfectly well in zone 8 so it won't be so much of a challenge as you might think. Select a sunny spot and amend the soil with compost or other organic matter. This will loosen the soil for good root establishment and also help hold moisture while ensuring that excess water drains away quickly. Plant your peonies and plan on feeding them with a liquid fertilizer in late spring, or by broadcasting granulated fertilizer on the soil beneath each plant. One feeding per growing season is all your peonies will need to grow and flower well. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"