mulch - Knowledgebase Question

Kansas City, Mi
Question by mephillips3
I am wanting to pull up the red mulch i have in a bed about 8ft long and 8ft wide. I have my knock rose bushes planted there. I want to change from red mulch to a dark color. is there an easy way to pull up the red mulch?

If you placed a weed barrier or landscape fabric on the soil prior to installing your mulch, removal will be much easier. Simply rake out the red mulch - as much as you can - and then roll up the fabric to completely remove everything. If you didn't put down landscape fabric you may need to rake as much as you can out of the bed and then skim the soil surface with a shovel to remove any mulch that has worked its way down into the soil. Once it is all removed, use a weed barrier fabric over the bare soil before putting down your new mulch. The landscaping fabric is easily cut with scissors so you can work it around your existing plants and it will help keep the decorative mulch in place - and make removing it a cinch if you ever decide to change to a different mulch in the future. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"