Saving Strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

Cocagne, NB
Question by cynbrown
I have some strawberry plants, not wild, they have been neglected over the past few years and I would like to revive and reap. What steps should I take to help them along? The field they are in is quite covered with weeds, clover etc.

0

Strawberry beds should be renewed about every three years, using new plants. You can renovate your bed by digging and removing all the plant material, and then replanting the smallest, or youngest, strawberry plants, and discarding the larger, older plants. After removing all the plant material from the bed, spread 3-4 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 6-8 inches. This will help loosen the soil and add nutrients that will be slowly released as the organic matter decomposes. Then plant the strawberries so that the crowns of the plants are just at soil level. Then mulch the bed to protect the plants, and to help suppress weeds. In the spring new leaves will sprout from the crowns of the plants.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"