Wild Onions - Knowledgebase Question

Garland, Te
Question by rhiajohnson
I have wild onions that pop up in my lawn every winter. I am the only one on my street who has them. How do I get rid of them besides digging them up? There are too many to do that.

0

Wild onions are very difficult to control because their bulbous roots store lots and lots of energy for regrowth even after they are cut down, they produce offset bulbs and they also spread by seeds. The best way may be to mow them off and spot treat the cut ends with an herbicide containing glyphosate. This is a nonselective herbicide that will kill lawn grass, so you need to be careful when you apply it. (Wiping it on with a paint brush or sponge may be the easiest.) Or, you could dig them out being careful to take the main bulb and all the little bulblets along side it. Be sure never let them bloom and set seed as they will spread by seed, too. Good luck with your eradication project.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"