Sequoia Aptos Blue - Knowledgebase Question

sparks, nv
Question by dylangrace
I purchased 4 Sequoia Aptos Blues from my local nursery here in Sparks Nevada last springand had them planted. They have done extremely well over the summer, lots of new foliage, but this winter has turned the foliage brown and I was concerned. Did my nursery sell me Sequoias not suited for our climate?

a very concerned gardener

0

Aptos Blue is rated hardy in zones 4-9 (your zip code places you in zone 5). It will tolerate winter temperatures of about 15F but will show damage from icy winds. These trees prefer growing near the coast where winter rains and fog will keep them happy. They crave moisture and if you did not water it during the winter months or if rainfall was sparse, the browing could be a result of water stress. I'd watch for new growth this spring. You may be able to prune out the brown foliage. Be sure to keep your tree watered well all year around. Best wishes with your aptos blues.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "